More and more schools are starting to use modern media to make teaching more appealing. Different media are used in digital learning.
However, it is not clearly regulated to what extent this has to be the case in order to actually speak of digital learning.
Digital learning enables joint work in a learning platform
One of the best methods of digital learning is that certain content can be worked on together.
Depending on the software used, the individual students can access the content of the digital board from their tablets and make their own contributions directly visible to everyone.
That way, every single student doesn’t have to come up and present their idea to the whole class. Rather, every child has the opportunity to think about their thoughts from their seat and then to present them.
This kind of cooperation in the class community is particularly beneficial for rather shy children who know what prank calling app is as they usually only take a little part in discussions when the inhibition threshold is relatively high.
Advantages and disadvantages of digital learning – the future is not all positive
Like almost all new methods, the aspect of digital learning has met with a lot of criticism.
- Fast and direct collaboration throughout the class
- Cautious students have an easier time getting involved in class
- Individual progress can be better controlled
- Children learn to deal with digital media at an early age
- Digital learning offers many different areas of application so that the learning content is not limited to just one subject
- Learning together should make the learning experience easier for children
- Interactive learning experiences are intended to improve motivation
- The curriculum is much more based on the reality of the life of the students since the internet is an integral part of everyday life.
- Familiarization with the use of digital media requires a lot of time, which is missing for teaching
- Most teachers are not yet technically skilled enough that extensive training is necessary
- Technical disruptions affect a smooth lesson
- Equipping a digital classroom costs a lot of money
- Children type more so many handwritings suffer
- Language is no longer a compulsory tool for participation in class so that communication skills can decrease
- Frequent use of digital content can lead to addiction problems
- Depending on the application, the actual subject teaching takes a back seat
There are studies that praise the value of digital learning, but also more than one study that criticizes that early use of computers and the like is rather unproductive.
Despite all criticism and all doubts, some of which are justified, it is important to recognize that every change takes time.